My research examines self and social perception. Specifically, I am interested in the effect of social comparison information on self-evaluation, and whether some comparisons have a greater influence than others. I am also interested in the accuracy of self-evaluation, and whether self-knowledge can be improved. I have a variety of other interests including when (and why) people talk to themselves and how age and culture influence the self.
- Group Processes
- Interpersonal Processes
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Person Perception
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Zell, E., & Bernstein, M. J. (in press). You may think you’re right…Young adults are more liberal than they realize. Social Psychological and Personality Science.
- Zell, E., & Krizan, Z. (in press). Do people have insight into their abilities? A meta-synthesis. Perspectives on Psychological Science.
- Alicke, M. D., Zell, E., & Guenther, C. L. (2013). Social self-analysis: Constructing, protecting, and enhancing the self. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 48, 173-234.
- Zell, E., Su, R., ... Albarracín, D. (2013). Cultural differences in attitudes toward action and inaction: The role of dialecticism. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 4, 521-528.
- Zell, E., Warriner, A. B., & Albarracín, D. (2012). Splitting of the mind: When the You I talk to is me and needs commands. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 3, 549-555.
- Zell, E., & Alicke, M. D. (2010). The local dominance effect in self-evaluation: Evidence and explanations. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 14, 368-384.
- Alicke, M. D., Zell, E., & Bloom, D. L. (2010). Mere categorization and the frog-pond effect. Psychological Science, 21, 174-177.
- Zell, E., & Alicke, M. D. (2009). Self-evaluative effects of temporal and social comparison. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 223-227.
- Zell, E., & Alicke, M. D. (2009). Contextual neglect, self-evaluation, and the frog-pond effect. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 97, 467-482.
- Social Cognition
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
P.O. Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402
- Phone: 336-334-5014